The second wave of COVID-19 in Switzerland
Switzerland does not implement a lockdown like most of its neighbor countries. Today the WHO warns Europe to not go too fast into a lockdown, probably a message for Germany with still very few cases.
The country is in the so called “special situation” which means our national government cannot decide themselves, they must involve all 26 cantons and come to a common agreement. This slows down the process and it seems most news coverage is not aware of that legal fact.
- The national measurements are minimum standards. The most important ones are:
Private parties are only allowed with max 10 people.
In restaurant only 4 people per table are allowed
Masks at work must be worn outside and inside
Masks in inner cities, public places including bus, tram, and train stations must be worn
Discos, bars & theaters are closed, although with max 50 people one could still run the business
Restaurants close at 11pm but no curfew during the night
Universities and higher education function only via video
Sports can only be done in groups of 15 and indoor always with masks
Professional sport with max 15 spectators
There is a lot of subsidy for closed institution
- Most cantons have stronger local measurements, but all try to avoid a lockdown. Goal is always to minimize social contacts, no parties, no public events with more than 50 people. But the economic life should be impacted as little as possible
But schools, shops stay all open. Everybody should work, there is a weak recommendation for home office
- Economic impact: Based on mobility data people are still commuting to work and there is so far no significant slowdown. But culture events and restaurant are suffering.
The goal is to keep the economy going but to hinder almost all private activities in groups bigger than 10 (or 15 for amateur sport)
- Will it be enough? According to our science task force only if people are really following these recommendations, which most of them cannot be controlled as they target the leisure time of the population. This is a special way like during the first wave. But this time Switzerland has the highest ratio of new cases per 100’000 habitants in Europe (please see charts at the end). Further steps cannot be ruled out.
- Cities are having only a slightly higher hit ratio than the countryside.
- French speaking part is hit harder with the lead of Wallis and since today Jura with a partial lockdown. The hypothesis is that the ‘southern’ way of life brings more people closer together. For instance, even during summer, a rural canton Vaud was always having the highest ratio of new infections and like France or Spain one had to wear mask in all public places, but the cases never came down.
- Geneva as a city is hit hard and their health system is already at the edge to break down. But other Cities, Zurich, Basel are not harder hit than their rural surroundings. They even have the highest capacity of unused emergency beds in these cities.
We expect that the economic impact will be less than during the first wave. There more than 70% off all work was still done although we had a complete lockdown. Different to then, the government wants that a minimum of social life is still possible, because during the 1st wave we were forced to stay at home and not to meet besides for work. The measurements are economic friendly and if followed are hard in the private area. If in two weeks we do not see a slowdown of new cases more measurements must be expected. I am skeptical that this measurements in the private area are really followed because the state cannot control them and like in other countries we are tiered of the virus.
Average infected per 1 million inhabitants, Switzerland is with 2.84 persons is even higher than Belgium 2.56
- On the Swiss TV news app: Out of 20’000 users more than 55% think the measurements will not be sufficient
Fig 2: absolute number of new infected per 1 million inhabitants (7 day rolling)
Published: 30/10/20 by Blackfort CIO Dr. Andreas Bickel
This Blackfort Insights (hereafter «BI») is provided for information purposes only. This document was produced by Blackfort Capital AG (hereafter «BF») with the greatest care and to the best of its knowledge and belief. Although information and data contained in this document originate from sources that are deemed to be reliable, no guarantee is offered regarding the accuracy or completeness. Therefore, BF does not accept any liability for losses that might occur using this information. BI does not purport to contain all the information that may be required to evaluate all the factors that would be relevant for entering into any transaction and anyone hereof should conduct their own investigation and analysis. In addition, the BI includes certain projections and forward-looking statements. Such projections and forward-looking statements are subject to significant business, economic and competitive uncertainties and contingencies, many of which are beyond the control. Accordingly, there can be no assurance that such projections and forward-looking statements will be actualized. The real results may vary from the anticipated results and such variations may be material. No representations or warranties are made as to the accuracy, or reasonableness of such assumptions, or the projections, or forward-looking statements based thereon. This document is expressly not intended for persons who, due to their nationality or place of residence, are not permitted to access such information under local law. It may not be reproduced either in part or in full without the written permission of BF.
© Blackfort Capital AG. All Rights reserved.
Medien über uns:
Findet im Jahr 2021 die „Everything Rally“ ihre Fortsetzung oder folgt ihr jäher Absturz? – Teil I der Analyse
Source: moneytoday.ch Autoren: Wanja Eichl und Elias Schuhmacher von Blackfort Investment Partners «Use Signal». Dieser Tweet von Tesla-CEO Elon Musk anfangs Januar 2021, mit welchem er seinen Followern eine WhatsApp-Alternative vorschlagen wollte, hätte zu anderen Zeiten vermutlich überschaubare Auswirkungen gehabt. Doch in der gegenwärtigen Anlegerstimmung reichten diese beiden Worte, um den Aktienkurs der Firma Signal Advance in den folgenden Tagen teilweise bis…
Blackfort verstärkt Know-how im Asset Management